Our Lady of Lourdes; Holy Cross; St Anselm's, Hindhead and St Teresa of Avila, Chiddingfold form the Haselemere cluster of churches.
We are part of the Guildford Deanery which includes the Catholic parishes of Ash; Bramley; Burpham with Merrow; Chilworth; Cranleigh; Farnham; Godalming; Guildford; Haslemere; Heath End; Hindhead; Rydes Hill; Sutton Park and the University of Surrey.
The Deanery of Guildford forms part of the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton. The Diocese of Arundel and Brighton was formed in 1965 by the division of the Diocese of Southwark.
Our Lady of Lourdes
In 1908 the Franciscans from the Chilworth Friary celebrated Mass at Oaklands Hotel in a hired room, which became a little capel placed under the patronage of St Gilbert of Sempringham. It was Canon St George Kieran Hyland, Parish Priest of St Edmund's, Godalming who established the mission here.
Then in 1923 the congregation moved from the Oaklands Hotel to a club room adjoining the Swan Inn. On 4th of May this year, Edward Mostyn, the first Rector of the Parish was appointed and from that day the Parish became independent.
On 15th November 1923, Bishop Keating laid the foundation stone of the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes. Miss Evelyn Coats had bought land belonging to Lord Derby on the east side of Weydon Road and had presented it to the Diocese of Southwark.
By August 13th 1924 the Church was finished and the 100 or so parishioners moved from the club room to the new Church. The Church was consecrated on 28th September 1932 by Bishop Peter Amigo
In June 1917 the Daughters of the Holy Cross arrived in Shottermill and built their sanatorium. Their Chapel was opened in February 1929.
St Teresa of Avila
In 1953 Mass was being celebrated in the Girl Guides hut in Chiddingfold by the Josephite priests from Barrow Hills at Witley who took it in turns to conduct the Mass.
Then, on 15th October 1959, the Church of St Teresa of Avila was opened in Woodside Road, Chiddingfold.
In 1934, Major Arthur & Mrs Hunt of Hale House, Churt, converted an old barn on their property into a private chapel and a monthly mass was established. Then, in 1937, the chapel was open for weekly Sunday Mass.
In 1950, when Churt - Hindhead was will part of Haslemere, the Parish Priest, Fr Pitts called a meeting of the community at which it was announced that Sunday Mas would be said at Pineacres at the invitation of Mr & Mrs Callanan. Following the meeting the site of St Anselm's was purchased for the sum of £700.
It was in 1954 that St Anselm's was created as an independent parish with Fr Tanner as its Parish Priest. Fr Tanner was ordered by the Bishop to find proper accommodation and he moved to Beacon Hill Park. The Priest's house was built in 1955 and a year later the statue of Our Lady and the Holy Child was designed and carved by Michael Lindsey-Clark.