As Christians we believe God has gifted us with “all good things” (treasure, time and talents) and we wish to respond to God’s generosity by being generous in return.


Parishioners generously give of time and talents – but always we need a turnover of volunteers, so consider how YOU can help your Parish?


Parishioners also give generously, week by week, to the maintenance and running of the Parish and to many “good causes”, near and far. If you can commit to regular giving by Standing Order please consider this.




What is Gift Aid?

If you are a tax payer and can Gift Aid then PLEASE consider this.  Gift Aid is the government’s scheme that enables charities and donors to reclaim tax on charitable giving. As part of the Diocese of Arundel & Brighton which is a registered charity, our parishes are able to claim tax back from HM Revenue & Customs.



So what does it mean?

Gift aid works by allowing charities to reclaim tax on the ‘gross’ equivalent of the donation (i.e. its value before tax was deducted) at the basic rate, which is currently 20%. To put £1 into the collection, you will have earned £1.25 and paid 25p (this is 20% of £1.25) in tax before you had it to spend, or donate

In practice, this means that every £1 you donate using Gift Aid, the Church can claim an additional 25p from HMRC, and so get £1.25 from your donation without it costing you any more than £1.


How does it work?

You make a ‘Gift Aid declaration’ to the Church, in writing, and the Church can then reclaim the tax you have paid. There has to be a record of what you give, so we ask you to give by Standing Order or cheque. The declaration will cover everything you give.


What does it cost me?

It costs you absolutely nothing! You are giving to the Church anyway, this simply asks the Government to redirect to the Church some of the tax you have paid to them.


What if you pay the tax at the higher rate?

If you pay tax at the higher rate, you can inform HMRC – on your tax return, usually – and they will pay you the difference between the higher rate tax and that which the Parish has reclaimed. The idea is that you can then pass this over to the Parish, but that is entirely up to your conscience. The Parish will not know whether or how much has been refunded and HMRC will not know what you do with it. If you are a higher rate tax payer, contact your tax advisor or HMRC.

What happens if I stop paying enough tax?

Simply ask the Parish office to cancel your declaration. If you don’t, then you could be sent a bill by the Inland Revenue for any tax claimed by the Church that you have not paid. If in future you start paying sufficient tax again, you can make a new declaration.



What should I do now for the Church to benefit from my tax?

Simply contact the Parish office for a Gift Aid Declaration Form & Standing Order Form or for any further information. Here